Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn’t have in your home.
True confessions? I LOVE television! From my earliest memories of watching the tube (Flintstones or Jetsons, anyone?), I love the escape. I suppose it’s the same reason I love books. However, I have to say, I’m a discerning “watcher”. I don’t just go in for just anything. I love GOOD TV. And, so, enter Netflix! And Acorn TV! And Britbox! And Hulu! And Amazon Prime! And HBO.com! And, the list goes on…
I’m hooked on subscription services where TV is concerned. Lots of advantages. No commercials. I can watch whenever I want. I can BINGE-watch! No waiting a whole week to see what happens. By the way – public service announcement – The Crown, Season 3, starts on November 17!!!).
I thought I would make a list for you of some of my favorite things I’ve bingeing on in the last few years. I’ve included a link to each service, so you can click and browse to your heart’s content! ‘Tis the season to hunker down and pop the popcorn….
From NETFLIX: https://www.netflix.com/browse
- The Killing – I know, unfortunate name, but some of the best TV I’ve ever watched. The incomparable Joel Kinnaman and Mareille Enos are amazing together (and did you know they make another appearance together – not as the same characters – in Hanna – on Amazon Prime?)
- Dark – if you like time travel and Sci-fi, you’re going to love this. Warning: have a pencil and paper handy, as you might need to make a chart to keep it all straight. But, it’s part of the fun. Loved it!
- The Kominsky Method – You’ll just laugh and laugh
- The Great British Baking Show
- Friends – anytime
- Gilmore Girls – anytime
- The Office – always and anytime
- Parks and Recreation – always and anytime
- The Sinner – so good! Very suspenseful!
- Broadchurch – fantastic, and so heart wrenching
- The Haunting of Hill House – scary as all get out – but I loved it!
- Schitt’s Creek (funniest TV in a really long time)
- Father Brown – comforting fun
- Agatha: The Truth of Murder
- The Crown – Amazing!
- We Have Always Lived in the Castle – quirky, weird and fun
- Black Spot
- The Five
- The Umbrella Academy – A real favorite
- Mindhunter – So, so, sooooo good!
- Longmire – Love this
- Sherlock – doesn’t get better than this!
- Jack Ryan (starring our dear John Krasinski)
- The Missing
- Late Night
- Ladies in Lavender
- The Bookshop
- An Inspector Calls
- A Quiet Place
- You’ve Got Mail
- Bottle Shock
- Modern Love
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Acorn TV https://acorn.tv
- Agatha Raisin – funny and fun
- Janet King
- Queens of Mystery – quirky funny
- Ms. Fisher’s Modern Murder Mysteries – great
- Vera – the master!
- Line of Duty
- Midsomer Murders
- Keeping Faith
HBO.com (not for kids!!!) https://www.hbo.com
- True Detective (especially Season 1 – unbelievably good, but dark and not for kids!
- Catherine the Great – Can’t wait to see Helen Mirren in this
- The Righteous Gemstones (this is about as crude as I can stand – but so funny, I can’t help myself – don’t judge!)
- Big Little Lies – Sit on the edge of your seat TV!
- The Casual Vacancy – a good adaptation of the book
- In Treatment
- John Adams – the best historical drama I’ve seen in years
- Parade’s End – starring our dear Benedict Cumberbatch
- Sharp Objects – whoa!
- Westworld – Fantastic (again, NO KIDS!)
- The Young Pope – Jude Law at his best
Guess what? I’m tired of typing! And, I think I need to take a good hard look at how I’m spending my time!!! I will add to this list periodically, as I discover new things. PLEASE share with us your favorites, because you know I left some out!!!
Next time on the blog, the joys of a home remodel… Until then, my friends! Happy watching!